.001 Undersize bearings

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Eagle_SX4
Posts: 5
Joined: July 13th, 2026, 1:37 pm
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Eagle SX4

.001 Undersize bearings

Post by Eagle_SX4 »

I am building a 4.6 long rod stroker. '84 4.2 crank, '96 block .030 over, with a ported 7120 head. I will be buying pistons from Russ Pottenger once I get the engine back from the machine shop. I took my crankshaft to the machine shop to make sure it was good and it was in pretty great shape only needing a polish. Which leaves me needing to find some .001 undersize bearings for both the mains and rods. Where can I get some?
Eagle_SX4
Posts: 5
Joined: July 13th, 2026, 1:37 pm
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Eagle SX4

Re: .001 Undersize bearings

Post by Eagle_SX4 »

I have found that KING and Clevite/Mahle both make .001 undersize rod bearings. I still have not been able to find .001 undersize main bearings. Anyone have a lead on those?
Gorilla
I think I'll order a "tab"
I think I'll order a "tab"
Posts: 41
Joined: February 15th, 2025, 3:29 pm
Stroker Displacement: 4.0
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Re: .001 Undersize bearings

Post by Gorilla »

I don't know, but I'd consider a call to Russ and Clegg for leads. Then dig around on Rock Auto in the bearings listed if you haven't.
Eagle_SX4
Posts: 5
Joined: July 13th, 2026, 1:37 pm
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Eagle SX4

Re: .001 Undersize bearings

Post by Eagle_SX4 »

I ordered a set of standard size main bearings. After measuring, my bearing clearance across the crank is .0035 +-.0003. Would it be okay running it as is? The other alternative is getting the main journals ground down .010 undersize and getting .01 bearings so I can get the proper oil clearance.
Eagle_SX4
Posts: 5
Joined: July 13th, 2026, 1:37 pm
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Eagle SX4

Re: .001 Undersize bearings

Post by Eagle_SX4 »

I wasn't happy with .0035 oil clearance. So I ordered a set of .010 bearings and measured them in the block then dropped my crank off at the machine shop again to have it ground down to have between .002 and .0025 clearance. Hopefully this will be the end to the nightmare of finding bearings.

I was able to find Mopar .001 main bearings are available for the 03-06 4.0 but the .001 thrust bearings are not in stock anywhere. Also they are very expensive which is why I decided to get my crank reground.
Eagle_SX4
Posts: 5
Joined: July 13th, 2026, 1:37 pm
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Eagle SX4

Re: .001 Undersize bearings

Post by Eagle_SX4 »

Also if anyone else is thinking of only getting their crankshaft polished, don't. Save your self the hassle and just get it ground to .010 under size and then you won't have an issue of finding bearings.