Hello,
As the title states I am building a 4.6 Stroker with a kit from Russ. I have the bottom end assembled and was cleaning the deck to install the head and noticed some small cracks around the head bolt holes on the drivers side of the block. I don't know how the machine shop didn't notice them. Maybe they did and they are inconsequential. Hopefully the experts here can give me some guidance. It would be a major let down to have to start all over again.
The block is mine from my 1990 cherokee. I bought it at 95k miles and drove it to 150k. I never had the head off, I guess there is potential the previous owner did. Unsure.
The jeep will be used mainly offroad for overlanding type expeditions. ie towing it to Colorado and doing San Juan trails. So it needs to be somewhat reliable.
I will post the images below.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Alan
4.6 Stroker Build - Noticed small cracks in block
-
Goldman
- Posts: 2
- Joined: October 7th, 2026, 9:19 pm
- Stroker Displacement: 4.6
- Vehicle Year: 1990
- Vehicle Make: Jeep
- Vehicle Model: Cherokee
4.6 Stroker Build - Noticed small cracks in block
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Goldman
- Posts: 2
- Joined: October 7th, 2026, 9:19 pm
- Stroker Displacement: 4.6
- Vehicle Year: 1990
- Vehicle Make: Jeep
- Vehicle Model: Cherokee
Re: 4.6 Stroker Build - Noticed small cracks in block
Maybe I wasn't clear. I was wanting to know if I can use this block or not.
I can only assume those cracks have been there for a long time.
Thanks in advance
Alan
I can only assume those cracks have been there for a long time.
Thanks in advance
Alan
-
Cheromaniac
- I live here

- Posts: 3297
- Joined: March 8th, 2008, 12:58 pm
- Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
- Vehicle Year: 1992
- Vehicle Make: Jeep XJ
- Vehicle Model: Cherokee
- Location: Cyprus
Re: 4.6 Stroker Build - Noticed small cracks in block
Have you talked to Russ?
Fortunately those micro cracks are between the coolant jacket and the head bolt holes rather than the cylinder bores so it might be OK. You could perhaps apply some thread sealant to the head bolts to be on the safe side. See what Russ thinks.
Fortunately those micro cracks are between the coolant jacket and the head bolt holes rather than the cylinder bores so it might be OK. You could perhaps apply some thread sealant to the head bolts to be on the safe side. See what Russ thinks.
1992 XJ 4.6L Poor Man's Stroker - 5MT
246hp & 311lbft (crank) - Sold
Stroker Build Stroker Recipes Jeep 4.0 Camshafts
246hp & 311lbft (crank) - Sold
Stroker Build Stroker Recipes Jeep 4.0 Camshafts